Create blog post
These two weeks have also been very busy in the marriage equality front, particularly in New Mexico.
- In Wright v. Arkansas, the state moved to dismiss the state, the Governor, and the Attorney General as defendants in the case, and to dismiss the case in its entirety. They also filed a brief opposing the plaintiffs' motion for a temporary restraining order. All of the county clerks who are being sued filed answers to the plaintiffs' claims; the clerks are represented by three sets of lawyers, each set representing one or more counties.
- Initiative 43's proponents filed their petition format on August 21, and the Secretary of State's office approved it on August 23. The proponents have until February 17, 2014 to gather 84,105 v…
We've had a lot of action in a dozen states this week, mostly in the courts. Here's a quick recap:
- , namely a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction.
- Hollingsworth v. O'Connell and Dronenberg v. Brown (8/14): the California Supreme Court rejected a petition from the Prop 8 proponents to stop enforcement of the federal court order against any county other than Los Angeles and San Francisco, and against marriage applications for any applicants other than the two couples named in Hollingsworth v. Perry. They also dismissed a similar petition from the San Diego County Clerk, at the clerk's request.
- Initiative 43 (8/15): The ballot title became final on Thursday, which starts a six-month clock. 86,105 val…